The couple, Chukwudi Micheal and Bolani Micheal were mourned after the deaths of their four children in a scorching heat that burned down their two-bedroom apartment on Tapa Road, Oke-Oko, Isawo, Ikorodu area in Lagos State.
The couple were asleep in their bedroom with their eight-year-old daughter when a fire broke out in the room where the four children were sleeping.
“After waking up, I alerted neighbours who helped me to break the windows of the boys because their door was locked. We were able to rescue three of the boys from the fire, but one had already been burnt to death. We rushed them immediately to a hospital with the help of a neighbour’s car, but we eventually lost them.”their 46-year-old father told Punch
The distraught father noted that men of the Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service only came in the morning when the fire had been put out by neighbours.
However, the Public Education Officer of the state fire service, Amodu Shakiru, stated that the fire was put out by firefighters, adding that five persons were rescued.
“We rescued five persons and recovered the burnt body of a teenager.”he said
The couple say they have no idea how the fire started.